Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A little kindness goes a long way

Patrick and I just got home from visiting Blake and even though I'm exhausted, I had to write about something that just absolutely made my day. (besides the fact that Blake did well today which is the ultimate blessing)

We walked into his NICU room and sitting on the couch was a little gift bag. I figured it was from my mother in law because I thought I heard Patrick say she was going to stop by. There was an adorable little preemie outfit, a lion finger puppet, and a little fleece blanket. Then I opened the envelope and found a picture of baby Mickey that had been colored with crayons and it was signed "from Marysa" in a child's handwriting. I looked at Patrick confused and asked him if he knew anybody named Marysa and he looked just as confused as me. But then I saw there was another piece of paper in the envelope and this is what it said.

"Hello my name is marysa and I am 12 years old. I was a preemie born here at thunderbird hospital and I know that this must be a difficult time, so I have a gift for you! This is my 3rd year donating these gift bags and I am so happy that I can help you and your baby.

With lots of love,
Marysa's mission to make a heart smile"

I seriously was on the verge of tears. A nurse walked in right as I finished reading it so to was able to compose myself. But that is the sweetest thing ever! I wish I was there when she came by because I would love to be able to thank her and give her a massive and probably an overly emotional hug.

I am so grateful for all the family and friends who are praying for us or keeping us in their thoughts and hearts. But the fact that there are other people who I don't know that are aware of our situation and actually reach out to try and make a difference amazes me. Something as simple as a complete stranger who left a thoughtful little gift for my son warms my heart and makes me so happy and thankful.

After we get passed these next 4 chaotic months, I would like to be able to do something similar. Being on the receiving end of one of these extremely thought gifts makes me realize just how much a small gesture could mean to someone in need of a little pick me up. I want to give back and I think its only fair that I pass along the kindness to someone else who will need it.




No comments:

Post a Comment